Best laptop for Serato DJ pro
If you are into Djing, you must make sure you have the best laptop for the best live performances. Having a good quality laptop is crucial if you want to rock your live performances by being a DJ.
When choosing the best quality laptop for yourself, it often becomes challenging as the market is filled with a high-quality laptop with unique features. But not all of these laptops have the features that you are looking for.
Reliability is one of the essential aspects when you choose a laptop for Serato DJ. Since the software “just works” straight out of the box, you require a similar laptop that will do the same.
You also need a light and powerful computer that can handle all the workload thrown at it. Besides, storing your music library on a laptop, you’ll require a large storage capacity. 1TB should be your minimum.
Serato DJ is one of the most influential DJ software today. For that reason, we’ll look at the best laptops for Serato DJ. What makes this program standard is the tight integration they have with various controllers in the market.
If you are looking for a solid laptop to help you explore your DJing potential using the Serato DJ software, the following recommendations will pack a punch and push your skills to new levels.
2020 Apple MacBook Pro with Intel Processor
- Tenth-generation quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
- Brilliant Retina display with True Tone technology
- Backlit Magic Keyboard
- Touch Bar and Touch ID
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics
There are many reasons why you see a lot of DJs using MacBook at their live performances. The main reason is reliability.
This model doesn’t have the highest specifications you can get from a MacBook Pro, but as for DJing goes, it will cover you for many years.
Everything from the software, operating system, the motherboard, and the sound card are all built and designed by the same company.
This is reliability at its finest. All that together makes everything work flawlessly and with almost no chances of crashing or dropouts during a live event.
The 10th generation i5 quad-core 2.0GHz processor and 16GB RAM is plenty to run the most intensive DAW or DJ software out there.
You can have up to 1TB SSD to make sure to read your mp3s and tracks faster, plus they are more reliable than regular HD Drives.
Its resolution is far higher than what you will find on many mainstream laptops for DJ use out there (2560×1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch), which will allow you to fit in more VSTs, Interfaces, Windows, etc. The battery life is excellent as well; you won’t have any issue with that.
- 13-inch Retina Display
- 10th-generation Quad Core i5 processor
- 16GB RAM
- Up to 1TB SSD Storage
- Four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports
- Up to 10 hours of battery life
- Improved performance (with the 10th-gen processor)
- Slimline, lightweight design
- Four Thunderbolt 3 ports (with the 10th-gen processor)
- Bright, attractive Retina Display
- Expensive memory/storage upgrades
- Poor upgrade/repair options
- Low-resolution (720p) webcam
ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo
- ScreenPad Plus: 14 inch 4K matte touchscreen, giving your endless way to optimize your multitasking experience by extending the screen or split windows and apps on both displays
- 15.6 inch 4K UHD NanoEdge touchscreen glossy main display
- Latest 9th generation Intel Core i7-9750H Quad Core Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.5 GHz) with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
- Detachable palm rest and ASUS active stylus pen included
- Fast storage and memory featuring 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD with 16GB DDR4 RAM
The ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo is one of the best laptops suited for DJs and DJing. It has a 15.6-inch 4K display offering a screen resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels with a higher PPI than the competition.
The touchscreen display can help use software like Serato DJ software and Virtual DJ in addition to the high-resolution screen.
Thanks to the touch screen display, you can control parameters like bass, treble, and even mix songs directly on the touch screen itself.
Compared to a non-touchscreen laptop, the Asus ZenBook Pro Duo seems to offer more practicality, especially for professional DJs.
When it comes to storage, the laptop offers a 1TB SSD-based super-fast storage solution. Thanks to it, you can now store enough tracks and load multiple professional DJ software without worrying much about space.
It weighs 5.5 pounds, which makes it a bit bulky and heavy. However, considering the specs sheet, it is an average weighing laptop, and it also offers a top-notch battery life of 6-7 hours on a single charge.
The 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H powers it
It has a high-performance 6-core processor with a base clock speed of 2.6GHz
The CPU is paired with the 6GB NVIDIA RTX 2060 GPU
Features native 4K resolution.
- 4K Ultra HD Touch Screen Display
- Touch Support
- 1TB of SSD storage
- RTX 2060 GPU
- Bulky and heavy
- Average battery life
Alienware m15 R3
- High-end materials like magnesium alloy, copper and steel provide a premium, lightweight and performance-driven gaming experience with iconic AlienFX lighting
- 144Hz 300nits 7ms Full HD for smooth, high-speed motion graphics
- Alienware Cryo-Tech optimizes component cooling, which maximizes overall performance and keeps your laptop cool to the touch
- FHD display with 7ms response time, 800:1 contrast ratio, 144Hz refresh rate and 300-nit brightness for pulse-racing gameplay
- At just 4.65lb and under 20.5mm, the new Alienware m15 is the thinnest laptop in Alienware history—even lighter and leaner than our previous m15
The Alienware laptops are gaming series machines. Nevertheless, they come with all the features and specs you will want on your DJ laptop.
The m15 R3 is built with high-end materials such as magnesium alloy, copper, and steel to give you tan ultimate secure cover.
It is still lightweight for easy transportation and compact to fit in most DJ backpacks. The 10th Generation Intel Core i7 is one of the best processors for DJing you can get on the market.
The 16 RAM present the fastest laptop to run every DJ software and app n a blink of an eye.
- 15.6-inch FHD Display
- 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor
- 16GB DDR4 RAM
- 512GB SSD Storage
- Three USB 3.1 ports
- Up to 12 hours of battery life
- Stand out aesthetics
- Great assortment of pots
- Ideal keyboard for DJ
- Brief battery life
- The design may not be for everyone
Dell XPS 13
- 13.4" FHD (1920 x 1200) InfinityEdge Touch Anti-Reflective 500-Nit Display
- 11th Generation, Intel Core i7-1185G7 Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.8 GHz)
- 16GB 4267MHz LPDDR4x Memory Onboard, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory
- Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2 x 2) and Bluetooth 5.1
Dell has always been a leader amongst Windows operating system manufacturers, and the XPS range delivers top-spec power at reasonable prices compared to top-spec Macs.
The Dell XPS range has been churning out performance laptops for quite some time now, but this is a real showstopper.
It packs incredible specs with a fantastic screen, powerful specs, and ample storage options. Ideally, you’d have to look at the 16GB Ram options, but any of these machines will get the job done relatively quickly.
Dell XPS machines aren’t cheap, but their built quality is phenomenal, and they’re simply a pleasure to use.
The XPS 13 is a smaller version, but there is a 15.4″ version, too, named the XPS 15. Both are similar in spec and build.
- Easy to carry
- Good display quality
- Blazing performance for a low-voltage CPU
- Sturdy design with aluminum and composite materials
- Gorgeous design with a new Frost White color option
- Class-leading performance
- Gorgeous 4K display
- InfinityEdge bezels with properly placed webcam
- Below-average battery life
- No USB-A or HDMI connectivity
- Loaded configs are pricey
MSI GS65 Stealth
- Display: 15.6" FHD, 4.9mm Ultra Thin Bezel Anti-Glare Wide View Angle 144Hz 7ms 72% NTSC 1920x1080 16:9 | Operating System: Windows 10
- Processor: New Intel Core i7-8750H 2.2 - 4.1GHz (6 Cores)
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6G GDDR5
- RAM: 16GB (8G*2) DDR4 2400MHz, 2 Sockets; Max Memory 32GB | Storage: 256GB SSD NVMe (PCIE Gen3x4)
- Special Features: Ultra Thin Bezel | VR Ready | Steel series Per Key RGB Customizable Keyboard | Thunderbolt 3 Ready
MSI is known for their gaming laptops, but that doesn’t prevent them from fitting the bill for DJs too.
They’re powerful, reasonably priced, and will allow you to run Serato DJ alongside other programs without fear of crashes or stability issues.
If you’re running Serato DJ alongside Ableton with Link, then you’ll need one of these more powerful machines.
The standout of this laptop is its tremendous graphics card, and whilst the specs are overkill for most Serato DJ applications, this laptop will walk over multitasking, or Serato DJ uses alongside Serato Video, etc.
With those sorts of specs, you can be sure that your laptop will run the DJ software of the future quite comfortably without the need for an upgrade.
MSI isn’t known for its portable laptops, but this one is surprisingly light with an excellent screen-to-body ratio and decent battery life given its components.
It’s a mighty machine for all computing tasks, but it should run the most intense Serato DJ sessions with ease
- The lightest gaming laptop we’ve seen
- Solid performance with NVIDIA’s GTX 1070
- Great battery life
- 144Hz display is smooth and colorful
- Gorgeous case design
- Powerful HD gaming performance
- Gorgeous, fast display
- Excellent audio quality
- Slim bezels
- Excellent battery life
- Too much chassis flex for the price
- It gets hot while gaming
- Forthcoming biometric login
2020 Apple MacBook Air with Apple M1 Chip
- All-Day Battery Life – Go longer than ever with up to 18 hours of battery life.
- Powerful Performance – Take on everything from professional-quality editing to action-packed gaming with ease. The Apple M1 chip with an 8-core CPU delivers up to 3.5x faster performance than the previous generation while using way less power.
- Superfast Memory – 8GB of unified memory makes your entire system speedy and responsive. That way it can support tasks like memory-hogging multitab browsing and opening a huge graphic file quickly and easily.
- Stunning Display – With a 13.3” Retina display, images come alive with new levels of realism. Text is sharp and clear, and colors are more vibrant.
- Why Mac – Easy to learn. Easy to set up. Astoundingly powerful. Intuitive. Packed with apps to use right out of the box. Mac is designed to let you work, play, and create like never before.
Apple’s new MacBook Air is its most refined ultraportable yet, primarily due to the new M1 system-on-a-chip. It’s swift and completely silent since it has no fan.
The MacBook Air is the second most portable laptop in this guide after the HP Spectre X360. It weighs 2.96 pounds and is only 2.2 inches thick.
Surprisingly, it still manages to pack enough ports to enable you to transfer music files between the laptop and other devices. These include two USB 3 ports, a Thunderbolt 2 port, and an Sdxc port.
It’s the first step towards unifying Apple’s hardware and software on Macs, and just like the iPhone and iPad, the result is a sleek and polished experience.
The 13.3-inch touchscreen Retina display is both a work of art and a performance powerhouse. It offers rich natural colors and clarity while being merciful to your eyes.
With this display, you can vividly see every component of the Serato DJ Software, allowing you to boost your DJing skills significantly.
- Apple M1 is astonishingly fast
- Excellent battery life
- Compatibility with non-native apps is impressive
- 720p webcam is still underwhelming
- The lack of an embedded 4G/5G option is frustrating
Acer Spin 5 Convertible Laptop
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-1065G7 Processor (Up to 3. 9GHz) 16GB LPDDR4X Memory 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD
- 13.5" Acer VertiView 2K 2256 x 1504 Widescreen IPS LED-backlit Touch Display (3:2 aspect ratio) Intel Iris Plus Graphics
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802. 11ax Backlit Keyboard fingerprint reader up to 15 hours battery life
- 2 - USB 3. 1 Type C port supporting USB 3. 1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps), DisplayPort over USB-C, Thunderbolt 3, USB Charging, DC-in, 2 - USB 3. 2 Gen 1 port (one featuring power-off charging) & 1 - HDMI 2. 0 port
- Co-Engineered for Mobile Performance by Intel and Acer Rechargeable Acer Active Stylus with Wacom AES 1. 0
If you are looking for a laptop that gives you the beta audio quality, your choice should always be the ACER SPIN 5.
This laptop has never disappointed its users when it comes to running the SERATO software.
The ACER SPIN 5 comes with the 10th generation Intel Core i7 processor, making it easier for you to produce and play music on your laptop.
Even if you use the laptop for long hours, it won’t get stuck, and this is one of the main reasons people prefer buying the ACER SPIN 5 laptop.
It comes with 16 GB RAM. It is perfectly reliable to help you store your data. It comes with a built-in fan cooling system that helps prevent the laptop from heating up.
Considering the display, you won’t be disappointed as the ACER SPIN 5 laptop provides a high-quality HD display to its users.
- The 3:2 screen adds more vertical space.
- The active pen can be stored inside the laptop in the stylus’s dock
- Future-proof Wi-Fi 6 support
- It comes with a 10th generation Intel core processor.
- It provides 13.3 inches full HD display.
- This machine provides 16 GB of RAM.
- Easy to carry
- It doesn’t provide enough storage.
HP Spectre x360
- Stunning style from any angle: Amazingly thin and light in a visually stunning metal body, this convertible PC is a masterful blend of design and performance.
- Processor: Intel Core i7-7500U with Intel HD Graphics 520 (2.7 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores) with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
- Impressive performance. All day portability. Enjoy lightning-fast performance throughout the day on this premium x360 with a longer lasting battery life for your non-compromising schedule.
- 13.3" diagonal FHD IPS Radiance Infinity LED-backlit touch screen (1920 x 1080) Display, Up to 12 hours battery life, Windows 10 Home 64 bit
- 256 GB M.2 SSD storage, 8 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM, 802.11ac (2x2) and Bluetooth 4.0 combo wireless, Intel HD Graphics 520, 2 USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2(Thunderbolt); 1USB 3.1 Gen 1 1 headphone/microphone combo
If you are one of those DJs that is always on the road, you need a laptop to pack and carry with you quickly. In this case, we recommend the HP Spectre X360.
The laptop weighs a mere 1.32 pounds and is only 0.6 inches thick, being the lightest recommendation in this guide.
On top of its portability, the HP Spectre X360 also packs powerful features that position it as a perfect platform for running the Serato DJ software.
These include an impressive processor, enough internal storage, powerful graphics, high display quality, and remarkable battery life.
It also comes with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of internal storage. This makes for a powerful blend of features to enable you to run the Serato DJ Software on the laptop with minimal hiccups.
With 512GB SSD storage, you can download various music without crippling the laptop’s performance.
And while this storage is good enough, we recommend using an external SD card if you are storing large files such as music videos.
This will leave enough room to keep the laptop from lagging. What is more, an external drive will help you secure your music when the laptop crashes without backup.
The 13.3-inch FHD IPS display offers excellent viewing angles with unmatched display performance. It uses Gorilla glass technology for durability and is surrounded by extremely thin bezels.
It also comes with a Stylus Pen to help you interact with the Serato DJ Software more flexibly.
- Solid productivity performance
- Spectacular battery life
- USB Type-A port
- The corner-mounted power button and USB port.
- Excellent battery life.
- Sleek design.
- Cumbersome touchpad.
- The bottom of the laptop gets very warm.
Buying a laptop is a decision that involves a lot of choices, what with the abundance of products all throughout the world – the different brands, the different processors, storage units, and so much more. Here are factors you need to consider before buying a laptop for Serato DJ
A laptop utilizes RAM – Random Access Memory – to rapidly store and access information about projects that are currently being used.
RAM is critical for Serato DJ as it’s an advanced program that runs plenty of framework forms all the while.
An outstanding amount of powerful nature of RAM will help Serato DJ run efficiently for the length of a set.
The least Requirement for Serato DJ is 4GB. Most workstations accompany from 8GB to 16GB of RAM.
Processors are the backbone as far as laptop execution. Serato DJ requires an excellent measure of preparing power just to run; however, to run it steadily for quite a long time requires a processor considerably more remarkable than its base prerequisites. The least requirement is core i3: 1.07GHz, core i5: 1.07GHz, and core i7: 1.07GHz.
When running the Serato Dj program on the AMD processor, many bugs were found out, or it wasn’t as smooth as it was expected.
This has been commonly settled, yet Intel processors are as yet prescribed over AMD with regards to running Serato DJ.
3. USB Ports
You must also make sure that your laptop offers enough USB ports for your equipment, as using a USB hub can complicate a lot of things for you.
4. Screen Resolution
If you’re a Serato or Virtual DJ, you may find it okay to DJ on a unit that has a resolution of 1280×800, but for Traktor, you need more than that.
5. Battery Life
For a DJ, there’s nothing worse than having your laptop die on you as you perform, so make sure the battery life on your laptop is enough for an entire set of DJing.
We’re discussing movability. In case you contribute intensely to your DJing vocation, you’ll need to locate the best trade-off between screen size and portability since you will be in a hurry most of the time. We’d suggest going for a 14″ laptop, although that may differ depending on your portability needs.
7. Build Quality
You want to steer clear of laptops with cheap plastic cases as they can be rendered useless easily. Make sure your laptop can handle some abuse.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What laptops do professional DJs use?
Professional DJs can use a laptop that is either based on Windows OS or macOS. It should have a good screen, an audio out port, and a sound processor capable of quickly rendering music and loading music.
2. How much RAM does a laptop that DJs use should have?
A laptop for DJs should have at least 8GB RAM, and it is also advised to get the machine with 16GB RAM, making the device future-proof.
3. How much storage does a laptop that DJs use should have?
A laptop with 128GB storage is more than enough if a DJ uses a single software. However, a professional DJ should opt for the one with at least 512GB storage, who likes to save the custom DJ music that has been created locally.
4. What is the best laptop for Serato DJ Software?
Most computers out there will work ideally with every DJ software. Serato DJ, Traktor Pro, Virtual DJ, and Rekordbox are the most popular, and they will run sufficient if you take care of the DJ Laptop specs listed above.
5. What is the best MacBook for DJing?
Every MacBook Pro and Air Model released from 2018 till today is an excellent choice for every beginner DJ.
6. Do you need a MacBook laptop for DJ?
Most of the Djing software like Virtual DJ and Pro DJ is available for Windows OS and macOS. So, you can either use a MacBook or a Windows OS-powered laptop for Djing without any issue.
Whether you are just getting your feet wet with the Serato DJ software or you are already a Pro DJ, this guide will help you find a laptop that is the perfect companion for this software.
MacBook Pro and Air laptops are an excellent choice for DJs and music producers if you can afford them. They have the reputation of expensive products, but quality, reliability, and design come with a cost.
However, there are some great cheap DJ computers by Dell, HP, Asus, and Lenovo that are worth your attention. Plus, you can add some really lovely DJ laptop skins to match your style.
The eight laptops listed above are highly compatible with the Serato DJ software, owing to their fantastic processors, RAM spaces, audio inputs, displays, etc. What is left is to decide which laptop you want, to decide which one suits you best and suits the music you want to make best.
Using the list given above, hopefully, you’ll be able to make the right decision for yourself personally. You don’t want to end up with equipment that you do not love and then be stuck with it.